My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Monday, December 14, 2009

Happy Monday Morning with a (woo hoo!) Fog Delay

Kids had a fog delay this morning, so we got to move a little more slowly this morning. It was a wonderful beginning to the week after a busy, busy week-end. Half of us have a bronchial cold crud, so that helped, too. Tour went well, and thank goodness, it's behind us. We always enjoy the kindness of everyone who comes through. People really are so, so nice. BUT it's nice to enjoy the decorations now without the pressure of the tour.

On another subject: Yesterday in the NYTimes, there was an interesting article about a rather informal (in my opinion, could be wrong about that) study a fellow is doing on divorce rates. In a nutshell, it seems that he can predict the likelihood of someone getting a divorce based on--get this--the degree of a smile on your face in pictures. He used both high school yearbook pictures and random pictures submitted by people when they were as young as 10. The less of a smile on your face, the more likely you are to divorce. No kidding. So drag out your pics when you get a chance, and see if it plays out in your circle of friends. What is that all about? Smiley people are harder to serve papers to? Smiley people are easier to live with? Smiley people are more lovable? It all makes sense to me. Can it be that simple? Listen folks, just smile, okay? Except the old Barry Manilow song really complicates things. "Can't Smile Without You". Well, honey, if you don't find a way to start smiling now, you won't be smiling with her, either.
All I know is I'll be smiling bigger in my pictures now. And really, some of it must come down to good dentistry, too, right? I mean, we've all know people, sadly, who didn't smile as big as they might because they were self-conscious of their teeth. So could it be said, that people with good teeth are less likely to divorce? It's something to think about. Something to think about.

2 comments:

Dorothy said...

Been watching your house tour from afar. So glad it went well. I'm intrigued about the magnolia leaf place mats. Hope you and the others recover in jig time.

But the main thing I wanted to say here is this blog deserves to be seen in a major dentistry journal. See what Chris thinks. So funny, and maybe so true.

Liz said...

My favorite Christmas story as a kid was "The House Without a Christmas Tree", too! I loved the TV movie!


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman