My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Thursday, January 14, 2010

Horrible Haitian Situation, egocentric kids

This morning we spoke to the children about the situation in Haiti. We let them watch a little of the morning news and talked about this country without building codes, with great poverty, etc. We discussed the enormous difficulties and challenges that face a country like Haiti after such a disaster. We talked about how we can or can't help, and how, if you're ever in a situation like that, you should call your mom right away to let her know you're okay. (I had to get that in there) They seemed properly sympathetic and interested, concerned, etc. or so we thought. Until one of my kids said,"Can I get a new DS game? I've saved enough money now."

I don't know why that got my goat, but it did. I said,"So we're talking about all these poor and dying people in Haiti and the first thing that comes to your mind is a DS game?"

"Well," he says,"it was actually in my mind BEFORE the Haiti stuff. I just waited until you were finished to say anything."

Okay, well, that's fair. It's a good reminder that kids are naturally egocentric, and I can't expect them to be otherwise.

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman