My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Wednesday, January 13, 2010

NO EXCUSES

I have no excuse for not blogging yesterday. I laid in my bed all day with ice/heat on my back, and I could have blogged a hundred times. But I had nothing to say. See, that's the thing about being laid up like this. You miss a lot of experiences, and when you don't get out and interact in the world, your brain gets empty. Okay, well maybe not empty, but it sure feels like it. So the thing was, I couldn't think of a THING to blog about that might be interesting. Now, I'll bet some of you are saying to yourself,"That didn't stop her before." You're right, but that's just where my brain was.

Since I've been laid up, I've watched a fair amount of television. I usually NEVER have the television on, but I've had it on a fair amount the past few days, and it's awful. People could go crazy watching the crap on television, especially the news programs. It makes me sad for our country. It's also so egocentric. If you watched this stuff on a regular basis, how could you NOT get all wrapped up in your own issues. Nearly every program is about YOU first, as opposed to reaching out to others, etc. It's wierd, like a strange media-subculture. Freaking me out, actually.

This whole few days of helplessness while frustrating for me has been good for the kids, I think. They've been awesome. They've been more independent and taken on more responsibilities, mostly of their own initiative. And they've been super proud of themselves for doing it. That just proves that kids know the difference between real need and constructed need. They know on a normal day that if they don't feed the dogs, for example, that I'll do it. But this week, I think they figured the dogs would starve if they didn't do it. Back to the farmer kid analogy I always talk about, chores that are real and authentic teach kids more and have more meaning than the old 'make your bed' schtick.

Well, have a wonderful Wednesday. Say a prayer for me and my OMers. WE're having practice today, and I'm really not up for it, but they need it. SO hopefully, they'll see the REAL NEED and be super cooperative and hard-working for me.

No comments:

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman