My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Thursday, April 8, 2010

Crisis Management

This week-end is the state odyssey of the mind tournament at Wingate College, and I am leaving with my team in the morning. SO even though it's spring break, we met as a team this afternoon to run the script a few times, touch up last minute costume details, and pack up for the journey. The kids worked hard, did a great job on the long term script and I felt great about their preparation. But then, about thirty minutes before it was time to go, one of the kids decided to experiment with an addition to a costume, and it didn't go so well. A mostly white costume suddenly had a large splotch of red spray paint. What to do! It's totally the last minute. This costume is awesome, one of our style points, and now it seemed almost ruined with this big red splotch in the front. RIGHT in the front.

So I talked to the two girls as much as I could, helping them brainstorm possible solutions to this problem, things to do, etc. Finally, the two of them (who were already planning to have a sleepover tonight) agreed to handle it tonight. I told them to call me if they needed me or even come over. They were frustrated and disappointed, and I was worried about them as they left practice. But I shouldn't have worried. These are OMers we're talking about here. These kids are practically professional problem solvers. Not even home two hours, I received a text from them, a picture, of this cool patch they made to correct the problem. Not only does it look great, but it's a totally creative solution, way better than what was there, and will problem garner them even more points than the original version. I'm so proud of these girls for sticking with it and getting creative in a tough spot. Go OMers! Woo hoo! I am so proud of them and so happy for the team.

That said, one kid is missing a pair of pants from his costume (well, actually his whole costume bag, but the pants are what we really need). And I'm sure there will be other things...

It's only 7:00, and I could go to sleep right now. I'm so tired. And I was going to Haiku the news for you. Oh, well. Maybe tomorrow. Just don't forget it's National Poetry Month. Have a great night! xox

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman