My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Thursday, April 8, 2010

Slogger's Back

I've been a totally slack blogger for a week! My apologies. We've been on Easter break with the kids and on the go! It's been a wonderful break so far with perfect weather and good times. We've also had a lot of things we've been dealing with lately that we've needed to address and make some decisions about as a family. In the midst of all this, we met a precious family here in Nags Head. They're from Annapolis and recently adopted a darling little girl from a Russian orphanage. They generously shared the story with us, and it has stayed with us all week. Needless to say, it put all our worries in perspective as we saw the blessings of our world through her eyes. She is an amazing child who will touch and inspire people everywhere she goes, as will her parents who are doing a terrific job. There is no question that God created this little girl for that family.

I have hardly written at all which is good in a way and bad in a way. When I don't write for a couple of days, I get grouchy and irritable, but I also do a lot of thinking about my writing. So I'm chomping at the bit to get back to it, but I probably won't have a chance for a few days. My Odyssey of the Mind team goes to the state competition this week-end, so we practice today and leave TOMORROW.

Tim Urban is still on American Idol which means my husband STILL hasn't gotten a haircut. But the girls love him, and love their dad's flowing locks, so what can I say?

We took the boys to see DIARY OF A WIMPY KID. I just love the trend in the last four years of making these great kid books into movies. Some of my favorites are HOW TO EAT FRIED WORMS, BRIDGE TO TERABITHIA,BECAUSE OF WINN DIXIE, and now we can add DIARY OF A WIMPY KID to the list. Of course, the books have so much in them that it's nearly impossible to cram them into a movie, so the boys missed some of their favorite parts in the book, but it was still good. A fun family flick to be sure.

Have a great week, everyone. I'll be back soon and in a better routine. Say a prayer for my OM team's safe travels and good showing at the competition. djk

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman