My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Saturday, May 22, 2010

Disturbing Youtube Trend

There is a very disturbing trend on youtube that, to me, is sickening. There are TONS (I have no idea how many but definitely hundreds and perhaps in the thousands) of posted videos on youtube of fights in schools. Sometimes there is more than one camera (phone) on the same fight, thus multiple videos on a particular fight. The fights are often ranked as in--good one, broken up too soon, terrible one, etc. with the implication that getting in a fight is not only acceptable but a competitive spectator sport. Clearly in all of these fight videos, a large group has surrounded the fight, many taping it with their phones as opposed to going for an adult or help while some kid gets the tar beaten out of him or her. Often the kids watching are laughing and cheering them on. It's sickening. I mean, I know that it happens. It's a reality, right? I mean, I taught middle school for years, and fights happen. But you want it to be very rare and stopped. And you want the culture of the environment to be opposed to the fight not for it. (the exception, of course, being hockey) Ironically, in a video at our very own local high school (which is how I found out about all this), the kids are brutally fighting under a sign that says PRIDE. It just makes me so sad. Not to be all 'good old days' or anything because it wasn't that long ago, but I remember when a fight (and they were rare, to be sure) at school induced tears and upset amongst the other students not videography. There was always one idiot who was jazzed up at the sight of a fight, but he or she was always the exception. Plus, it must be humiliating enough to get jumped in the hall and the crap beaten out of you, but now people can watch it over and over on youtube? I am bothered. What is there to be done about this? Could it be that our nation's youth is crying out for help? Calling for attention and solutions from adults and people who can make a difference? Now we all know kids can make a difference, too, maybe even more so, but kids don't always know that. Just something to think about.

On an up note, I enjoyed watching a movie with my daughters last night. I am blessed to have such awesome, fun girls. I enjoy their company so much, and I'm always amazed and impressed with their wisdom and perspective. My DH is off on an escapade with the boys. Have a wonderful Saturday with your fam, everyone!

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman