My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Thursday, May 20, 2010

Thankful Thursday, Service to others, Something's bugging me

I am suffering, and I mean suffering, from a yucky stomach bug. I won't say I'm dying because my mother will call in a panic, but I will say that's what it feels like. Any tips on surviving this beastly bug? Send them to me. Okay, no more whining.

Yesterday on Maya Angelou's talk show, I heard two amazing women talk about service. I'm looking into their books and hope to give you more information about them in time, but I was very struck by their messages. Both women saw a need and leapt headlong into serving that need. There are unmet needs in our community that weigh heavily on me, but I'm not sure that I would even know how to begin spanking new programs as these women have. But it's definitely got my mind cranking. Perhaps some of my faithful reader/teachers could help me out here. I'll have to get in touch with you. In the mean time, everyone reading please take a moment and think about a need that pops into your head right away. Chances are, we're all thinking of different things. What if we all did something about each of our needs. Even if it was something tiny like taking a bag of food to the food pantry TODAY. OR calling your local school TODAY to volunteer. What if we all did something TODAY? We are all blessed in different capacities, so we all have different things to give. One of the women who spoke on Maya Angelou yesterday spoke of the money she sent to the Congo in an 'adopt-a-woman' kind of program. The monthly amount she sent paid for educational opportunities for a woman for a month, in order that she might have more opportunities for herself and especially her children. Eventually this woman went to visit her congolese 'sister', and she said she always assumed it was the money that changed their lives, but she was struck by the women there who carried all the letters of their sponsors with them everywhere they went. They read and re-read them. It was the hope, the encouragement, the connection of another woman in another country that really fed them. I'll post her book in my margin but I haven't read it. I'll get back with you on it. AT any rate, it got me thinking.

When I was in Ohio last week, I visited a wonderful used book store, bought some things to read and share with you, but they STILL haven't arrived! So stay tuned for a bunch of book review to come. Some of them I read while I was there, but I need them to talk about them. but I can't wait! If you have any gifts to buy for children soon, hold on to hear about at least two of these picture books that you will HAVE to see.

Some Grateful Thursday:
I'm grateful that no one else in my house has this bug (yes, we Lysoled everything downstairs)
I'm grateful for my awesome carpool pals who always come through and faithfully drive every week
I'm grateful for healthy parents
I'm grateful for a great writing partner and colleague
I'm thankful for grace and forgiveness
Mostly, I'm grateful for my patient, enduring husband who really wanted to go to the beach after work tonight to see his sisters but had to stay and help here. I'm sorry, honey. (I told him to go, that I'd work it out, but he decided to stay.)

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman