My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson, The Pacific on HBO, and little Hannah

First of all, I need the scoop on whatever this damn stomach thing is that's going around. I feel terrible and I have a big presentation tomorrow. Will I live?

Secondly, I want to tell you about a great YA novel by Laurie Halse Anderson, author of the widely acclaimed SPEAK. The novel is TWISTED, and it has one of the best teen male protagonist voices I've ever read. It's a heartbreaking story of the injustices of high school, and, well, society. But you fall in love with the protag in the first paragraph. It also depicts a wonderful sibling relationship, which you know I'm a sucker for in books. It's graphic and dark in places, not a gift for your nephew, but an excellent read all the same. I highly recommend it.

Also JOHN GREEN (your fave and mine) and Lauren Myracle have new books out. Woo hoo! As soon as I read them, I'll be talking about them right here.

I've been watching THE PACIFIC on HBO. As most of you know, I am a huge fan of the quality programming on HBO. The documentaries on education, aspects of history and our culture, and the series are unmatched, imho. I LOVED BAND OF BROTHERS. Every American should watch that series about our soldiers in WWII. It was outstanding. I almost didn't watch THE PACIFIC, a series about the Pacific soldiers in WWII because Band of Brothers was so outstanding, I was afraid THE PACIFIC would disappoint. But alas, HBO has done it again. THE PACIFIC was incredible. So listen when I tell you this, watch these series. Things are tough all over right now in our country--unemploymnet, sagging economy, foreclosures, oil spills--but when you're hunkered down in the mud with these boys at Peleleiu, watching their buddies die...all I can say is it puts things in perspective. You will be grateful for your dry pillow tonight and clean clothes, the little things. There's also a section about this series on www.hbo.com where other veterans can share their own stories. It's quite touching, and something we don't do enough of.

I had a dream last night. In it, I was weepy and melancholy about our kids growing up so fast. I was crying, "Can you believe Hannah is in the 1st grade? She's just growing up too fast." And sweet first grade Hannah came in the room and snuggled with me. We read and played. Then I woke up and remembered that Hannah is about to finish the SEVENTH grade. Sheesh! But I sure did enjoy my time with little Hannah last night. What a doll.

Have a great Tuesday. There's something about this drenching rain that I love. Not just because my garden loves it. There's more, but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe you can tell me.

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman