My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Friday, September 10, 2010

Friday

I am so TIRED. Has this short week worn anyone else out? Man, oh, man. I was out at the school this morning. I am going to be a Writer in Residence at White Oak Elementary School this year. I will be there on Wednesdays to work with the second grade classes on writing, and I will host office hours for children to come visit and share their writing with me. I am excited to spend some more time in the classroom. I cleaned up my space this morning, and I need to get it all decorated and ready to go.

It is SUCH a beautiful day today. Crisp and autumnal. My garden is producing the most beautiful lettuce. We have had yummy salads all week. Of course it always tastes better when you grow it yourself. The kids like to help with the harvest. Also, I have a HUGE (and I mean, huge!) tomato plant growing right by my back porch. It was a volunteer of sorts (the result of a spilled tomato plant from school. We thought there was only one seedling in it, but there must have been two?). At any rate, I have a tomato plant in the oddest of places, but I put two cages on it, and we're going with it. It looks like we'll have a great fall crop soon. Yummy. And my basil is still hanging on, so hopefully we'll have some tomato pies on the menu soon.

I am nearly at the end of MOCKINGJAY the third in the HUNGER GAMES trilogy of books. This trilogy's success reached fever pitch with the release of MOCKINGJAY the last week of August. It was the most awaited children's book (young adult, actually) that I can recall with the exception of Harry Potter. The first book in the series, HUNGER GAMES, was one of the most riveting MG books I've ever read. CATCHING FIRE, the second book, was just as good. MOCKINGJAY does a good job of wrapping up the rebellion, so to speak (I mean, it's hard to wrap up a rebellion!), and satisfies everyone's curiousity about what happens with Katniss and Peeta. (and Gale, of course!) So if you haven't read this trilogy, I highly recommend it for adults as well as adolescents.

Have a wonderful week-end, get some rest (I hope to, myself!), and thank you, as always, for reading.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think Hunger Games is solidly in the YA category--not middle grade, but I'm sure middle school kids are reading it...
--Jody


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman