My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Keep Still

I have been moving a LOT lately. Like, constantly. The fall schedule for my family of six has been fast-paced and exciting from spelling words to soccer games. Three September birthdays always take things up a notch as does the fact that we are two parents trying to get four children to their sporting events. In a few weeks, fall sports will be over, and we will have a quieter few months. Sometimes I live with that mindset: I can do this for two more weeks, and then we'll get a break. But I don't want to live that way. I want to enjoy every single second. I want to be in the present.

Sometimes it is hard to just be still because there are so many things rambling around in my head. Even if I have a calm hour or so to watch my daughter's tennis match, which is great fun, I still feel like my brain is finishing up dinner or planning the next week's carpool or something like that. So how do I stop it? I've been reading this lovely book called SACRED RHYTHMS. It's a Christian book for adults. (I know, I know, this is usually all about children's literature...) I had a moment of truth, a moment of profound inspiration this morning that stirred my heart so that I felt compelled to share it. So indulge me as I share something with you that I hope will touch you, as well.

Exodus 14:13-14 says this: "The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to keep still." Wow. That pierced my soul this morning because I've been trying so hard to keep still for at least a few minutes a day, but I find it hard to justify. How can I "keep still" when there's a mound of laundry upstairs, chicken that must be thawed for dinner, pasta salad that must be made for the team luncheon, floors to be swept, dogs and cats to be fed, homework folders to be perused, pencils to be sharpened in the homework station, phones to be charged, bills to be paid, relatives to be corresponded with...how can I possibly justify being still?

Well after a crazy week last week, I told my husband Sunday morning that I had a personal goal to 'be still' for at least a couple of hours that afternoon. And I did. And it was amazing how much better I felt even into the next day. But still I felt a little guilty because there was still a bathroom that needed cleaning, a few loads of towels that needed to be washed, etc. So here's what I loved about this verse: "The Lord will fight for you, and you have ONLY to keep still." How freeing is that?

I know what you're saying, though. Who will DO that laundry? Who will make dinner? Etc. You're right, it doesn't do itself, but when you have a chance to be still and get perspective and calm your soul, it all works out. Somehow chores go much faster with a cheerful heart and a peaceful soul than when you're totally pissed about it. (Believe me, I know this for a fact having done it both ways many times) And correct me if I'm reading this incorrectly, but it sounds to me like I NEED to keep still in order for the Lord to fight for me. Like that's my only job in this scenario. Like a coach would say, Okay, kid, YOU keep still, so HE can go fight. Now break!

So take a moment this morning, and be still in the knowledge that PLENTY is getting accomplished while you are still: God is fighting for you.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Being someone who has to keep much more still than usual these days, I appreciate this post! It is hard, but stuff will get done someday. That has to be my new motto, at least for the next 3 months!


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman