My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Wonderful World of Chapter Books

I've been working on a new manuscript, a chapter book manuscript. Chapter books are longer than picture books and shorter than, say, a middle grade novel. Since the word count on picture books has gotten so strict, I thought I'd try something in this genre. SO...my reading list this week has been full of such delightful stories. My favorite series so far is the MERCY WATSON series by Kate DiCamillo. I never thought that such a ham would remind me so much of myself. When Mercy goes off searching for some buttered toast instead of the what she was SUPPOSED to be doing, I laughed out loud. I can certainly relate. Parents will love reading this one aloud at bedtime, and children will love giggling under the covers with Mercy and a flashlight.

Another book caught my eye this week and much like Mercy's buttered toast distraction, I read it despite the fact that it didn't fit my 'chapter book' requirement. THE LITTLE SCARECROW BOY by Margaret Wise Brown (yes, the very same Brown of GOOD NIGHT MOON) is a precious story about waiting until you're old enough to do what you really want. Another sweet Autumnal story that is sure to inspire lots of great conversation in classrooms everywhere. Can't you picture it: a darling class of first graders sitting criss cross applesauce on the carpet reading this story. The teacher's follow up question: What kinds of things are YOU too young to do that you just can't WAIT to do? LOOOOVE it.

Peanut dust is in the air. It smells wonderful, but everyone is sniffling and snuffling about, moaning about headaches and sore throats. Weather has been lovely and cool, crisp and dry, but now a little rain might be nice to clear out the peanut dust. Too bad. I kind of like it. And the cotton is in the fields (well, some of it already in bales). Countryside around here it beautiful, like snow on the ground.

Enjoy Wednesday and remember to be grateful!

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman