My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Thursday, November 18, 2010

And the winner is....MOCKINGBIRD by Kathryn Erskine!

Woo hoo! MOCKINGBIRD is the brilliant MG novel from the perspective of a young lady with aspergers whose brother died in a school shooting. The voice is amazing. I was hooked from the very first page. BIG kudos to Kathryn Erskine and her incredible editor (one of my favorite editors!) Patti Gauch. Big cheers for all. This story will touch the lives of many, many readers, and one of the wonderful things about the National Book Award is that it calls attention to wonderful novels like this one. ALL the books that were nominated were outstanding, but MOCKINGBIRD stole the hearts of the judges. Read it, and you'll understand why. A MUST READ for teachers and counselors. It offers an interesting perspective of the school environment.

I've been drowning in NANO and cold medicine--so I've been a bit scarce. I am in the stage of my book when I'm not sure if it's brilliant or horrible, and most days I think it's the latter. I will stick it out, though. (I feel like Bart Simpson--I will stick it out. I will stick it out. I will stick it out.) BIG ENCOURAGING CHEER to all of you who are in the midst of Nano. If you are anything like me, this is what you are thinking:
1. What the hell was I thinking? I'll never finish this book.
2. What made me think I could write a whole book about a freaking parrot. I don't even like parrots.
3. This book is terrible. If I think it's terrible when I'm writing it, it can only be WORSE for the reader. So why am I going to all this trouble for something that will be terrible?
4. My fingers ache and my wrists are swollen. And for what? A stupid parrot book?
5. Is there a Nano police? NO. I could quit any time and no one would know or care! So why don't I?
6. I quit.
7. Dammit, I can't quit. I just can't. I am not a quitter. The world needs this book about this stupid parrot. I mean, do you see any other stupid parrot books around? Why, no you don't. I must be the toughest parrot writer around. I WILL be the first one to finish a parrot book.
8. Hey, if I'm going to all this trouble, maybe I could just make the parrot a bit more interesting.
9. No way, I've written 1000 more words? Just like that? Inconceiveable!
10. Hey, this book is pretty good!
Whew. Day in the life, baby.

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman