My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Boss Baby by Marla Frazee and Shark Vs. Train written by Chris Barton and Illustrated by Tom Lichtenheld

Two awesome new picture books, THE BOSS BABY by Marla Frazee and SHARK VS. TRAIN written by Chris Barton and illustrated by Tom Lichtenheld, are MUST READS. THE BOSS BABY is the funniest, most well-done book about a new baby coming into the house ever. It now tops my list of books for new parents. It is hilarious for children and adults alike. I completely fell in love with this story. It is the perfect gift for new parents, expectant parents, and brothers and sisters dealing with a 'bossy baby' in the house. SHARK VS. TRAIN is brilliant in that it takes two things that kids love-sharks and trains--and pits them against each other in memorable duels. My kids loved poring over every detail in the illustrations. Another great gift book as Christmas approaches.

It is such a lovely fall here in eastern North Carolina. The colors on the trees are stunning, and the weather could not be any nicer. The children are in that place where they're settled into the school year and its routines, fall sports are over, and our day-to-day schedule just feels a bit more manageable. My writing schedule kicks up a notch in November, and by now, that just feels like a part of the calendar year. I cannot believe that Thanksgiving is NEXT WEEK, and of course, the weeks will fly by until Christmas. Amy Grant has some lyrics, "Oh, how the years go by. Oh, how the love brings tears to my eyes." It's so true. My children are just so darling to me right now. They are all at such precious ages, each of their personalities add something so special and so unique to our family. I feel so blessed that they are healthy and safe and good learners and spiritually engaged with the world and all those things you pray for when they're infants.

I know they are all going to be fine, to be great, actually. They're going to be cool adults with meaningful careers. They will be productive members of society, responsible parents, and helpful, involved citizens. Why do I worry about the little things? I need to practice enjoying the here and now because it is awesome. I need to love the children up. The world will show them their faults and weaknesses because that is how the world is; they don't need me to make observations like that. I just want to be here to love them, encourage them, and pick them up when they fall. Remind me of that, the next time I'm agonizing over some trivial parental matter.

Have a great day. Check out these new books, and share them with a child in your world.

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman