My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Monday, November 1, 2010

National Novel Writing Month

Today is the first day of National Novel Writing Month, mostly known as NaNoWriMo, or just NaNo. (Yes, it makes me want to split my fingers into a Mork from Ork handshake) During this month every year, tens of thousands of people all over the world pledge to write 50,000 words in a month. This is no small feat unless you are Stephen King who already writes 2500 words every day. It is an intense writing month that will change the way you write forever. HOWEVER, whomever founded NaNo clearly did NOT have kids because to start such a big project the day after Halloween is just craziness. However, here I am, ready to start. Except for a few things that get in my way. Always.
1. The idea I've had for weeks, that seemed like the perfect plan for NaNo now seems like a terrible idea, loathsome, and I can't for a second imagine writing such drivel. Except I have no back-up plan.
2. To gear up for NaNo, I've been reading some work from the best of the best. So now I'm simultaneous inspired (yes, a book can change the world!) and depressed (no way can this crappy idea change anything).
3. I"m exhausted from Halloween. Yes, this is the case every year, but every year it seems more exhausting. Plus, my fingers are swollen from all the candy I've eaten, so it's hard to type.
4. There is a neighborhood dog that barks CONSTANTLY, and he is driving me CRAZY!
5. I can't help but think of recent book contracts in the news like Snooky and other examples of fine literary genius getting piles of money in an advance because it's sure to sell a million copies.

I promise I won't go on and on about NaNo this month, but I did want to put this out there for all of you who are doing it for the first time, it is hard for the veterans, too. But the results are always worth it.

From Jane Yolen upon the completion of her 300th book: "The two keywords here are passion and joy. I simply have a passion for writing and I do it with joy. How any writer gets through that amount of words without passion and joy, I simply don't know."

Bring on the passion and joy.

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman