My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Lucy Rose chapter books by Katy Kelly

I have always appreciated the humor in Junie B. Jones. However, I'll admit that the incorrect grammar drove me batty! And this anti-censoring girl will even confess to changing it as I read it in order to make it sound better. (I'm SO sorry Barbara Parks, it's just that I didn't want my kids to hear ME talking like that--I let them READ it.) ANYWAY, for a long time, Junie B. Jones seemed like the only show in town for that age group of girls. HoRRIBLE HARRY captured the hearts of boys as did many other series like Magic Tree House (kids LOVE them). In the past ten years, though, MANY great chapter books and series have burst onto the scene. CLEMENTINE books are a favorite and now LUCY ROSE books. I read the first one, LUCY ROSE HERE"S THE THING ABOUT ME, and I liked it so much that I immediately launched into LUCY ROSE BIG ON PLANS, and now I can't wait to read the rest. LUCY ROSE is a lovable, quick-witted, entertaining character. She's a good friend, a caring daughter and a thoughtful granddaughter, but she's also impulsive at times, impatient, and foot-stomping mad. But at every turn, you love her. Her grandparents are incredible grandparents, it makes you want to be in her family, and helps you not feel so badly about her parents's impending divorce (which they handle in a super healthy way). As a fellow Palindrome freak, I love Lucy Rose's fascination with palindromes and the role it plays in the relationship with her father. I highly recommend these books for a reader of any age, a read aloud, and especially as gift books. I want every kid I know to read these books. Since one of Lucy Rose's best friends is a boy (Melonhead), boys will enjoy this book, as well, although it's definitely a 'girl book' first and foremost. And the best part is, you never have to correct the grammar! That may not matter to many of you, but it goes a long way with me.

At school today, I read HALLOWEINER to several classes. It is my all-time favorite Halloween book and one of my favorite books ever (thanks, Dav Pilkey). What a treat. It gets funnier every year.

I can't believe Christmas is less than a month away. If you like to make donations in the name of others at Christmas, think about your local library. This tough economy has been especially challenging for libraries and often the first book budget cut is the children's list. So keep that in mind. Have a great day!

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman