My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Ring the Bell

TODAY I completed my manuscript. I mean completed completed. Formatting, final editing, the whole deal. Now I know I will be subject to many changes when and if I get an agent/editor. But for now, it's as good as it gets and ready to send out. Now hopefully someone will ask for it! The thing is, I'm just so thrilled with it. I'm just so proud of myself for finishing it. Two long years of working on it during which I did a million other things. I want to celebrate THIS achievement because whatever happens, it's a great accomplishment to complete a novel.
Here's why:
80% of Americans claim they want to write a book.
93% of those people actually BEGIN a book
1% actually finish the book
And only 5% of those who finish send it to one publisher or agent.
Only 1% of those 5% submit to more than one place.
Whew! So according to those numbers, it looks like I've got a pretty good shot, right? Well, it would seem so. Anyway, I LOVE my manuscript. I get goosebumps just talking about it. And I felt really called to write this story for some strange reason. Anyway, enough of this celebrating. I'm starting to feel like a real egotist. And that's not the point. The point is, we have to celebrate every step of the process. Woo hoo!

I talked to my dear friend, Karen, today who has just moved away from us, halfway across the country. We miss her and her family SO much. She spoke of all the great things going on in their town, at their schools, etc. and sometimes I wonder about the flip side of this small town living. There are many perks, yes, but there are many challenges, as well. My daughter who ice skates would LOVE to skate more than once a week, but it's nearly a 1 1/2 hour drive each way, and my son would LOVE to play hockey, but it's the same place and a minimum of four nights a week! No way could we do that. Not that my kids HAVE to do exactly what they want to do, but...well, you know what I mean. Anyway, a shout out to Karen today. We love you and miss you! Live the good life for all of us. And please, don't ever brag about your Denver grocery stores. That would just be mean.

Parenting is full of so many choices like that, and every choice you make for one kid affects the entire family. That's where it gets hard.

But for now, we're gonna love the town we're with and give it our all. I'm sure we're here for a reason.

I'm also feeling a little poopy that I missed the SCBWI New York conference last week-end. But I hear it was GREAT. If anyone out there reading attended the conference, either fill us in or link us to a blog that does, and I'll try to do the same. (hint, hint, Sara)

And kudos to Sara who met up with her agent this week-end in NYC. I think I'm a little jealous. xoxox

1 comment:

Sara said...

Woo-hoo for finishing!!!

I did post more about the conference today, but Darcy Patterson has a better roundup from several more bloggers.


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman