My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Monday, March 17, 2008

Holy Week Holiness

Since it's Holy Week, I'd like to throw out some thoughts in that direction for the next few days. It's personal and real to me, as I know your own faith is personal and real to you. Please feel free to join in.

I've been pretty diligent this Lent in staving off 'gluttony',I suppose. But did I really approach holiness with my efforts? Or did it become an idolatrous (sp?) effort. I mean, did I really use that eating time to pray and grow and reflect? Not as well as I could have. IT seems like Holy Week for me is always about being disappointed in myself, and I know for a fact that's the OPPOSITE of what God wants me to feel. Or maybe the disappointment in myself is the perfect set-up for Easter, a reminder of His grace and mercy? I mean, is grace more valuable to the person who already feels like they've got it all figured out, or someone like me who falls so very short. Well, of course it's more valuable to me (and really, aren't we all more like me?). So anyway, may your Holy Week be sufficiently depressing, so that you may experience the fullness of God's grace. Then perhaps, we can begin to realize that God wants us to LIVE in that grace, not just accept it when we need it. Is anybody with me? If I was an old Baptist preacher, I'd say, "Do I hear an Amen?" Or at least that's how it is in the movies.

I've been praying mightily for God to reveal the next step to me, what my next writing project is to be. I've got one foot in a half-dozen things, but I'm not fully committed anywhere. But I think I had a bit of a breakthrough last night. I'll let you know more when I'm more sure, but I'll tell you one thing for sure. When I ask, and then listen, He always answers. So I have to be ready and willing to accept an answer before I can ask with my whole heart.

So as we approach the holiest day of the year, I can't help but think I should know something by then, right? But I have to prepare my heart to listen. I also think it's important that my children see me honor and respect the season with my discipline and diligence.

My devotion today read like this: "Come to me for understanding, since I know you far better than you know yourself...Trust Me enough to accept the full forigveness that I offer you continually...As I fill you with My Love, you become a reservoir of love, overflowing into the lives of other people." Sheesh. Okay. I'll take it. Make me your reservoir, Lord.

btw: from JESUS CALLING by Sarah Young, the best daily devotion book EVER, imho.

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman