My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Grateful Wednesday

Although my day has some strange moments (yes, I dragged one of my kid's bikes under my car for half a block this morning) and I felt kind of bad (a strange dizzy spell this afternoon--what's that about?), I have felt particularly grateful all day. I'd like to make a point of having a grateful moment blog once a week, so this is the kick-off. HEre's how it works. I offer some grateful moments or things for which I'm grateful, and you participate, too! (Come one, you guys, be grateful WITH ME)

1. I'm very grateful that when I dragged the bike there wasn't a child on it. That might sound like a joke, but it's not. I've thought about it all day. It scared the mess out of me.

2. I'm very grateful for healthy parents, husband and children.

3. I'm grateful for reliable, flexible carpool partners. I know my children will be safe and not forgotten.

4. I'm grateful to live in a small town with a slower pace, where children can walk downtown and people bring my dog home when he gets out.

5. I'm grateful that I've stuck with the writing because even though I'm not where I'd like to be, necessarily, it enriches my life in many ways.

6. I'm grateful for absolutely luscious children's novels like Elijah of Buxton and the new Penderwicks book. They bring me and countless children great delight. (BTW, check out these two very different but very cool new books!)

7. I'm grateful for the birthday of a friend.

How's that for a start? Some days are just tough, you know? And today was one of those for me, so I thought it was the perfect time to start Grateful Wednesday, which I've been meaning to do for ages.

I've been thinking a lot about 'setting' in my writing and much of setting is the emotional tone of a book. I've been brainstorming and thinking about how to prewrite it, so I thought what I could do is come up with a list of things a setting loves, hates, fears, etc. For example, my small town loves street dances, weddings, and the trolley. It hates road construction and Wal-Mart. It fears change. Think of the show Sex in the City. New York was an important character on the show in a way. The setting was absolutely pivotal to the characters, how they acted and reacted, and the way their lives progressed. (ex, think when Miranda moved to Brooklyn) At any rate, I challenge you all to do the same. Think about the setting of your town where you live, maybe the town where you grew up, and perhaps your college town. Then get more specific, imagine the loves, hates, hopes, and fears of the setting of your home, maybe the home where you grew up, maybe your best friend's house. Now we're cooking with grease. So have fun. If you're not a writer, I want you to think about this one, too. Chances are, it'll help you drum up some gratefulness, as well. Have a great night! xoxox

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) I'm grateful it was sunny today, even though the sun kept disappearing behind the clouds and the wind was gusty.

2) I'm grateful for the German sparkling wine I had at dinner. There was only one small glassful left and I enjoyed every sip.

3) I'm grateful that my daughter only had diarrhea today (it was like she barfed out her butt but still, it was only diarrhea) instead of the vomiting and diarrhea she had the day before yesterday.

4) I'm grateful my husband had dinner ready when we got home from soccer and gymnastics.

5) I'm grateful that my eyes work and I can see out of them.

6) I'm grateful Hilary Clinton is still in the race.

Diane said...

1) I'm grateful that my daughter got chosen to run the track relays today.

2) I'm even more grateful that she got home from the track meet before 11 PM (like last time) since her school field trip takes off at 5:45 tomorrow morning.

3) I'm extremely grateful that I was smart enough NOT to volunteer for the above-mentioned field trip.

4) I'm grateful for all of next year's Kindergartners who showed up for Kindergarten Round-Up at our school tonight.

5) I'm more grateful that none of those Kindergartners belong to me (especially the ones that went screaming down the hallway).

6) I'm grateful that it's Teacher Appreciation Week and that everyone has chosen to show their appreciation by bringing enough food for the entire staff.

7) I'm grateful that so many people in this small town are such excellent cooks.

Donna Jones Koppelman said...

You guys are AWESOME! Thanks for participating in Grateful Wednesday! Hooray for you! I need to add that I'm grateful for YOU!


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman