Redneck Parenting Tips of the Morning:
1. Always have cash (small bills) in the house for last minute tooth fairy needs lest you have to go to the bank machine at 11:00 at night to take out a twenty and then drive to the only all night convenient store in your town, which is very scary, and get small bills, so your child will be appropriately rewarded for losing a tooth.
2. Get important pictures taken and portraits painted of your children BEFORE they lose their front teeth.
3. Do NOT let your child play Indiana Jones with a bungee cord, attaching it to a tree and trying to pull himself up. And do not let him encourage his friend to help him pull if it's too hard to pull.
TAG, YOU'RE IT! I was tagged to answer the following questions by Sara. Answer them yourself in my comments, on your own blog, in your writing today or SOMEWHERE! Of course, I like to hear from you in the comments...but no pressure.
WHAT WERE YOU DOING FIVE YEARS AGO? Caring for a two-month old baby, a nearly three-year-old son, a kindergartner and a first grader. Wow, hard to believe. I had not yet begun to write fiction, and probably hadn't even thought about it. I was writing a weekly newspaper column about parenting and educational issues.
WHAT ARE FIVE THINGS ON YOUR TO-DO LIST TODAY (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER)?
1. Finish my submission for Chautauqua
2. Go to store for cat food and dog food
3. Choose and iron clothes for my sons to have their picture taken in tomorrow
4. Make sure my daughter's costume is ready for her recital
5. Put away laundry!!!
WHAT ARE FIVE SNACKS YOU ENJOY?
1. almonds, my favorite!
3. avocados, a luxury, a treat, but still, hmmmmm
4. a really cold diet Coke
5. a fudgesicle
WHAT ARE FIVE OF YOUR BAD HABITS?
1. Making a mess in the car
2. Not unloading the heavy groceries from the car until I need it
3. Standing in the pantry and snacking, especially while I make dinner
4. Leaving the house without brushing my hair
5. Going to sleep with a stack of books in my bed
NAME FIVE PLACES YOU'VE LIVED.
1. Beaumont, Texas
2. Cary, NC
3. Richmond, VA
4. Boone, NC
5. Chapel Hill, NC
NAME FIVE JOBS YOU'VE HELD.
1. Waitress at Bella Italia in Richmond
2. Custom framer and art retailer at Allen Montague's Collector's Gallery in Cary, NC
3. Waitress at Blowing Rock Cafe in Blowing Rock, NC
4. Teaching 8th grade at Carrington Middle School in Durham, NC (one of several teaching jobs)
5. Wedding singer and delivering singing telegrams
FIVE PEOPLE YOU WANT TO TAG
Join me later for a party! djk
My Mission Statement
I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.