My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Sunday, December 7, 2008

Aha Moment

I had an Aha Moment today about my writing. When looking through my NaNo stuff, I learned something. Let me explain. As a NaNo Writer (and a regular, everyday writer, too--ha), I have two kinds of days: 1. Days when I know exactly what I'm sitting down to write. 2. Days when I have NO IDEA what my next move will be. On the #1 type of days, I tend to sit down and write solidly for a period of time, finish quickly, and life is good. On type #2 kinds of days, I journal a little, do some kind of creative writing exercise to get my juices flowing, then when I'm warmed up, I get going and write. It takes longer than #1 in the beginning, but not always longer in total. SO here's the Aha. Guess which kind of writing yields better results? #2 HANDS DOWN. That really surprised me because often the stuff I began writing in scenario #2 felt kind of 'out there' or non sequitur, know what I mean? But in the end, those unexpected twists and turns gave the story a creative twist it really needed. So my question is this: IF we only write 2000 words on the days we know what we're going to write, do we miss out on our best writing? Do we deprive ourselves of the best creative juices within? I don't know. But somehow everything always comes back to Linda Sue Park's BIC theory of writing, doesn't it? (Butt In Chair) So fellow writing friends, join me in flocking to your desk, day in and day out, and pray to have no idea what you're going to write. ha ha Have a good week.

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman