My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Friday, December 5, 2008

It's Poetry Friday

I'm waxing poetic today on a query letter rather than a true poem, so I am happy for this fun break to write a little something with you. I have a very fun activity planned for today that I hope you will enjoy. It's an annual event for me, and some of you may be familiar with this tradition. This year, I hope you'll adopt it as your own.
It's kind of forced rhyme scheme and meter, I must warn you, but sometimes boundaries serve to accentuate our creativity rather than muffle it.
Take your favorite Christmas carol, and rewrite it to suit your day. In my normal corny manner, mine will be lighthearted and silly rather than deep and serious, but you may write yours anyway you like. Please post your rewritten tunes.
(To the tune of Oh, Christmas Tree)
Oh, Editor, dear Editor.
How lovely is your back list.
Oh, Editor, dear Editor.
I'm studying your wish list.
I think if you'll just take a look
You will love my enclosed book.
Oh, Editor, dear Editor.
Don't let this manuscript be missed.

(To the tune of Silent Night)
Silent Night, Holy night.
Christmas cards, left and right.
Not a word have I heard from my subs.
Are the editors all at the clubs?
My excitement is dwindling.
My sub is probably kindling.

Okay, so you can see where my brain is today. I take a minute or two to do one of these every day, just for fun. I do them for my carpool, too. So have a ball with it. And don't forget to SHARE!!!

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman