My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Grateful Wed--yee haw!

It's Grateful Wed again, and like always I have SO MANY things to be grateful for. It would be easy to freak out over the state of my house right now (truly freak out-worthy),plus I'm pretty pissed off about our town suddenly changing trash pick-up to once a week instead of twice with NO WARNING then putting a note on my very full garbage can about it--what's that about? By the time they put notes on cans all over town, they could have picked up the darn trash,(deep breath) but what I really need is a good dose of thankfulness. Maybe you do, too.
Join me in celebrating our blessings.

This day I am particularly grateful for:
1. The blessings and joys of my faith.
2. The gift of really great books.
3. The gift of friendships--my cup truly 'runneth over' in this category.
4. The joy of completing a project (yes--I polished a picture book manuscript this morning that I'm excited about)
5. The fun of a work in progress (got a few of those, yes, siree)
6. The beauty of the season--wreaths outside and in, Smilax aplenty, bulbs forcing, pink cheeked kids in the cold, the misty moisty air and billows of breath in the early morning
7. The excitement of a new Odyssey of the Mind team full of great kids with super ideas and lots of energy
8. Healthy parents and children
9. The simple pleasures of Christmas cards--seeing everyone's kids grow
10. Looking forward to a very fun New Year's with dear friends in Asheville

Whew. I've got a plateful of thankfulness, now, don't I? This is officially a whine-free zone.

But I do have an interesting news item to mention. Did anyone read in the NYTimes last week-end about the test you can give your kids to see what kind of sport they're best suited for? Yes, you read right. You can take your toddler to have his cheek swabbed, then the results will tell you which sport he or she should pursue. To save time and all that. Isn't that the most ludicrous thing you've ever heard? And doesn't it speak volumes about the need for PARENT EDUCATION in this country? YIKES. It's freaking me out to think about. I wonder if the test ever reads--well, how about the violin? I mean, is very kid better suited to one sport or another? Does that include pool and bowling? What if you tell a Floridian kid that he should be a ski jumper? Okay, the whole thing is way too creepy for words to me. Anyone disagree? Any other thoughts?

Have a great day. BE GRATEFUL! And share them with me if you DARE!

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman