My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Thursday, January 21, 2010

Gearing Up for NYC

I'm getting so excited about my trip to New York next week for the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators conference. I'm excited to meet up with friends, meet and soak in advice from some awesome children's authors and illustrators, and just immerse myself in the children's book industry. I hope to see friends from Chautauqua and our regional chapter. I also plan to meet an agent from the agency I recently signed with. I love conferences like this because they really get me fired up to come home and GET TO WORK. I'm in a great place to get fired up because I'm in the process of wrapping up a bunch of projects and ready to start something new.

Kids went back to school today after a 5 day week-end. It was a great long week-end all the way around. My back is beginning to feel much better, thank goodness. Chris took the boys for a 'guy week-end', and I stayed here and hung out with the girls. It was a really nice, relaxing couple of days, not an overplanned, exhausting week-end like we often have (and like we have this coming week-end). Don't get me wrong, I like those, too, but it's nice to have balance.

If any of you don't know, my husband is a HUGE MINNESOTA VIKINGS FAN. He is so excited about the game this week-end where the Vikings will play the awesome Saints, and the winner will go to the Super Bowl. My husband is a passionate fan, and in the twenty-four years I've known him, he's never been so geared up about a Viking season. The kids are all excited, too, which, of course, means the dogs are even excited! Sunday is going to be a very intense day in the Koppelman house. We like the Saints, too, but the Vikings come first. So please, I beg you, cheer for Vikings on Sunday (Rock 'em, Sock 'em, Fight, fight, fight, fight...)

So ol' John Edwards finally came out today and admitted that he's the father of Frances Quinn Hunter. Big surprise. It's so sad and tragic on so many levels. How do you think that kid is going to feel one day when she sees all the clips where her dad denied her? Sure, he's taken care of her financially, but does he think that makes up for it? It's unbelieveable. And poor Conan O'Brien losing The Tonight Show (okay, well maybe 'poor' isnt' the right choice of words given his 23 million dollar settlement), but again, money doesn't take the place of having your dream job, the job he waited five years to get (probably missing out on other offers in the meantime). Just two more examples of the way some people think a little money makes everything okay.

Have a terrific Thursday. xoxox

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman