My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Friday, March 26, 2010

Better Late Than Never??

Is that saying actually true? Better late than never? Sometimes something is so late, I'm like, well, what's the point now? So maybe that's what you're thinking. What can she say NOW that she couldn't say this morning? OR maybe no one will read this post at all because I'm so stinking late. To all that I say, I'm sorry. I'm late. Real late. No excuses.

After this beautiful spring week, I am strangely sitting by the fire because it's about 37 degrees outside. The rain came in this afternoon and brought cool air.

My DH and I did something monumental today: we finally started official college funds for our children. We actually had savings for it, but we hadn't put it in an actual college foundation savings account with each of their individual names on it and so forth. It was freaky to figure the years our kids would all start college (2014, 2015, 2019, and 2021). The dates all sound like something out of the Jetsons, like we'll be wearing bubble-looking space helmets (like the guy who invented the frisbee, actually) to the ceremony or something. My oldest daughter even went on a college visit today with her school. You know the saying, "Youth is wasted on the young"? Well, it's SO TRUE. Wouldn't it be fun to go to college in your 40s? Here are a few reasons why I would LOVE it!
1. I would really appreciate the teaching and direction of my professors. I would read every textbook, savor every note, and soak in all the learning I could. Just for the fun of it. I wouldn't even care about the grades. (yeah, right, but I would enjoy that, too)
2. I would also appreciate the value of skipping class every now and then to take advantage of a great opportunity. When I was an undergraduate, a bunch of my friends skipped class for a WEEK and drove up for the Winter Olympics (must have been when they were in Lake Tahoe?). Anyway, I was too scared to miss so much class. They had a ball, and I've always wished I had gone. Every year when I watch the olympics, I think of it.
3. I would use the heck out of the campus gym that is included in the price of tuition. I would be in awesome shape.
4. I would go to every cultural event. Really. That's what I miss the most about living in a small town--classical music, symphonies, operas, theatre, guest speakers on any manner of subjects--it seems that just when you're learning to appreciate these opportunities, you graduate. I didn't attend a SINGLE EVENT that wasn't required by a class. Isn't that lame?
5. I would really get to know my professors and appreciate them as people. Now that I am older, I really appreciate the financial sacrifices people make to pursue a career in academia. I also value the perks of their jobs, too, not the least of which is working in an incredibly stimulating environment. I would LOOOOVE to teach at the college level.
6. Lastly, I would go to every stinking athletic event. Every one. And learn all the rules of rowing, lacrosse, fencing, spelunking, buildering, you name it.
I'm sure you can think of tons of other reasons to go to college in your 40s...but what would we do with the college-age kids? Service projects? A national recycling movement? A required year of travel? Volunteer work in disadvantaged communities of the U.S.? The possibilities are endless but unlikely. Thankfully, we're saving up for it.

1 comment:

Liz said...

I have always thought college should start at about age 28 or so. I know I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have when I was there!


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman