My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sunday Morning Perfection

I woke up early this morning with time to enjoy my coffee and newspaper before all the church stuff cranks up. My DH is unloading the dishwasher. Decadence, to be sure.

The News and Observer has a big article about Lee Smith (a Hillsborough, NC resident) who is probably my favorite Southern writer. My most recent favorite of hers is THE LAST GIRLS. If you haven't read it, you should, especially if you are of Southern pedigree. She has a new book out, MRS. DARCY AND THE BLUE-EYED STRANGER: NEW AND SELECTED STORIES. I'm so excited for this new short story collection. I loved her ME AND MY BABY VIEW THE ECLIPSE. The short story of the same time is brilliant, IMHO. She so captures small Southern town life, it's as if she's peeking over my shoulder all day. If you haven't read her work, you should. I haven't read the new one, but I look forward to reading it soon. I love the sweet anticipation of discovering a new book to read.

There's also a new book out, A KINGDOM STRANGE: THE BRIEF AND TRAGIC HISTORY OF THE LOST COLONY OF ROANOKE by James Horn. There has always been a fascination with the mystery of the Lost Colony settlers who seemingly vanished into thin air in the early days of American settlement. New DNA technology has enabled historians to study this mystery with a whole new scientific approach. Newspaper articles regularly appear in this region asking for people to have their DNA tested to see if they can track the Lost Colonists through some of the old families. The mystery is so fun, the wondering, the theories, that I almost wonder if we'll be sorry to have it solved.

Have a wonderful Sunday, enjoy your family and a day of rest. A little reading would make it perfect, right?

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman