My Mission Statement

I write to serve, to unite, to educate. I write to share literature and flesh out ideas that may be of interest to others. I write to document an emotion, experience, or a blip in time. My mission is to write in such a way that the reader is reminded that we can find humor in all situations. It's one of the great blessings of life.


Saturday, August 14, 2010

Meteor Showers

First of all, if you have not read HUNGER GAMES and CATCHING FIRE, you should run out to the library or bookstore today and get both of them and read them right away! The much-awaited sequel MOCKINGJAY will be out in about ten days, so you'll want to be READY! This story is pretty amazing, and I'd like to be able to discuss it with everyone I know, so READ THEM!

Secondly, we heard that it would be good viewing for the meteor showers last night. So we bundled up and took the kids out on the porch late last night. We all laid back on the bench, chairs and floor together to gaze at the awesome sky. Even before we saw the meteor showers, the sky was breathtaking last night. It was so clear and the stars are just so huge and close at the beach. Anyway, we mused about the origin of Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star (how DID that catch on? yet we all love it), wishing on a star, star light, star bright and so on. But there is no wondering about the inspirational power of the view on a starry night. Anyway, after about ten minutes we began to see the meteor showers. (Astronomy friends, help me here if I've got my singular/plural messed up on meteor showers--is each event a shower or is the evening's group of movement a shower?) Anyway, in about thirty minutes, we saw six or eight of them. They were huge and brilliant and slow, if that makes sense. Not the usual quick zip across the sky but more of a magical, slow spreading of light that had me thinking of Tinkerbell. Kids were entranced, Chris and I were in awe, and all in all, it was a magical family evening. I can't tell you how happy I am to have everyone here together. I'm a fan of camp, it's great for the kids, BUT I'm always so happy to have everyone back. They are all such fun and interesting people, growing into their own. It's an amazing thing to see.

I had this strange thought this morning. I was thinking about the (I know, it's debatable) artistic genius of artists like M&M, Lady Gaga, Michael Jackson, and others. Their tortured and traumatic pasts certainly fuel their gifts and their talents. If the whole tortured artist archetype is a pattern, the whole parental quest for a nurturing, magical childhood experience kind of gets in the way of the whole genius thing. Hmmm... Just shows God can do something with every one of us, no matter what.

My girls begin sports practice Monday, a week prior to the beginning of school. They are starting a new school this year. Both of them will be in high school, making a change, knowing hardly anyone, so I covet your prayers for them. I pray that they will find their way, be inspired and encouraged in this new environment, and have someone to eat lunch with in the cafeteria!

Have a wonderful week-end, and check out the meteor showers again tonight after ten. xox

No comments:


Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Isabel by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman

Major Bear at the Grove Park Inn by Donna Jones Koppelman